The evidence supporting the safety, efficacy, and cost-effectiveness of fluoridation of community water supplies comes from mulitple sources covering 50 years of legitimate research published in peer reviewed journals, including both long term studies on large populations, recent confirmatory studies, and comprehensive literature reviews. Adding fluoride to drinking water is an important element in promotion of dental health along with education and access to dental care. The Findlay Township Municipal Authority supports the actions of the Dental Advisory Group in promoting dental health by all practical means.
- Flouride is a community health measure that benefits people of all ages, income levels, and ethnicity.
- Fluoride protects over 300 million people in more than 40 countries worldwide, with over 10,000 communities and 145 million people in the United States alone.
- Flouride is not a medicine. Fluoride is a naturally occuring mineral in all water supplies and when adjusted to optimal levels, is effective in reducing tooth decay.
- Water flouridation is the best way to get fluoride. Topical application is better than nothing but not nearly as effective as water fluoridation.
- Water fluoridation is SAFE!
- Oral health is a critical component of overall health and well-being.